Wednesday, September 1, 2010

DIARY OF A CAMPAIGNER: HISTORY/WHAKAPAPA

DAY ELEVEN:
Tuesday 31 August 2010
It is 16 days until the ballot papers start arriving in the letter boxes and 39 days until ‘D’ day decision day on 09th October.

I’m coming down with the flu so I better dose up on the beautiful grapefruit in my backyard. I did flyer drops in Sandringham today. I love this area. It’s full of history. This is where Rangatira/Chief Apihai te Kawau and Kawerau a Maki Tribe resided, along the Mt Albert Road and up on the mountain. The mountain was originally called Te Wai o Raka – the waters of Raka but it turned into Owairaka after the Chieftainess Wairaka, from Ngati Awa in Whakatane. Toroa was Wairaka’s father and the Chief on the waka Mataatua. There’s a street on the hill named in his honour. I see Te Warena Taua and his iwi were able to put a correction in the public board on the summit – congratulations to them.

The thing about the Local Boards is that I truly believe that they need to know the history of the area in which they intend serving. The terrain, the landscape, the contours of the roads and streets has a story to tell. Places as much as the people is what makes each area unique. I love Owairaka. Vote for us the C&R Team Owairaka and you'll get a team that prioritises our people and our place.

No comments:

Post a Comment