Tuesday, September 7, 2010

DIARY OF A CAMPAIGNER: DAY 17: WHAT I STAND FOR.

DAY SEVENTEEN:
Monday 6 September 2010
It is 10 days until the ballot papers start arriving in the letter boxes and 33 days until ‘D’ day decision day on 09th October.

There’s 10 day’s remaining till we all receive our voting papers. I’m standing as a Local Board member for Citizens & Ratepayers in the Owairaka subdivision of Albert Eden. From now until the 17th September, I’m going to list for you what I stand for and what I believe in. You’ll be able to make up your mind about whether my values, C&R values and yours are in synchronicity.

I am about Community. Along with C&R I too recognise that individual neighbourhoods and specific communities make up the rich diversity that is Auckland. I support the strengthening and the promoting of our vibrant communities – all our communities. I will work hard to champion individual projects, by empowering them with information that can maximise their ability to gain access to resources. This not only benefits the communities but all Aucklanders.

Each and every one of these communities and roopu/groups also has the right to know they are safe here in this City, they call home. As a City we should not and we must not tolerate violence towards, intimidation of, or anti-social behaviour aimed at any individual, group or community. I will champion for zero tolerance to crime directed at any individual, group or community and will personally advocate vigorously for effective policing. There is a ban on alcohol consumption in public places due to roll out in Mt Albert-Owairaka in November. I intend to ensure that it is enforced to the letter of the law. I will not tolerate excuses or pleas of leniency from politically-correct apologists at the expense of hard working, law abiding citizens. I will also vote to revoke licences to off-licence premises - if they are within a 1k radius of schools. I am in the business of economic development and progress; I am not in the business of social disintegration. I am not a hard-liner but I am a champion of zero tolerance to crime.

This new Auckland City is a chance for the people to set the agenda. Now is the time for us to look positively to the future with a ‘can-do, will-do’ attitude. This is a time to leave behind those ‘old-hands’ in Council who can’t see progress because they’re blinded and bound by bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo and red-tape. Now is the time for solutions not excuses. Now is the time to look towards the future and plan for the tomorrow we all want. This is our chance to get it right.
There is a Māori proverb: Nau te rourou, naku te rourou. Ka ora ai te iwi – which means with your food basket and my food basket together we can feed the people. It means we can do this – we can make this happen together, you, me and Citizens and Ratepayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment