Wednesday, September 29, 2010

DIARY OF A CAMPAIGNER DAY 40: MATT McCARTEN'S B**S PICKS

DAY FORTY:
Wednesday 29 September 2010
The ballot papers are on the benches, pinned to kitchen boards and refrigerators. In 10 days time this great city of Tamakimakaurau/Auckland will have a new council and take on a new direction. Have you voted?

I have got my nose way outta joint! Why….because Matt McCarten didn’t name me in his Auckland Supercitypicks.com. I’ve known Matt professionally for about 7 years, we have a mutual friend, actually this mutual person is one of Matt’s closest mates, and I’m a tag along or was.

McCarten reckons he’s posted his picks out to about 50,000 people. He says he based his votes partially on the following criteria as well as other considerations:

Being pro-community and not in the pockets of business interests
A track record of political reliability, the ability and talent to actually to do the job they want
A good chance of winning

McCarten knows my work in broadcasting means I’ve got to be across all issues affecting the country and at all levels from local to regional to central. I’m a Documentary and Current Affairs programme Producer so I have the type of over view that allows for big picture strategy and micro analysis. Matt benefitted from my personal hard work and determination in an aggressive broadcasting industry. He was a regular guest on our current affairs programme ‘Eye to Eye with Willie Jackson’ where he was able to challenge opposing politicians, commentators or business interest groups. So when it comes to strength and courage against odds to not only get a job done, but to give voice to all sides, groups and interests - Matt has conveniently forgotten me. Perhaps Matt McCarten thinks I might win. He wouldn’t want that because that would split his ‘left’ leaning team and Matt’s nirvana is a left leaning Auckland City. What I find most interesting however is that for someone who champions tangatahwhenua, Matt didn’t acknowledge the Party with Maori on its ticket. When all is said and done Matt is keeping true to his political ‘faith’. He is after all a ‘leftie’ and a hard core one at that, so he’s being consistent. Let’s hope his picks are completely wrong – for the sake of our city and the sake of our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment