Thursday, September 23, 2010

DIARY OF A CAMPAIGNER DAY 33 BARMY POLITICAL CORRECTNESS

DAY THIRTY-THREE:
Wednesday 22 September 2010
The ballot papers are in the letter boxes. There are 17 days until ‘D’ day decision day on 09th October.

I wanted to address a comment made by one of my Facebook ‘adds’ regarding my kids on the hustings with me. The ‘add’ said: “Keep kids safe, including from politics, until they are old enough to make their own informed decisions rather than their parent’s ones. Look at Fiji. There is a reason you have to be eighteen to vote.”
Firstly having my children on the hustings with me is part of what being Maori and tangatahwhenua is all about. This is about our future their future our rangatiratanga. This is about them being a part of the process and understanding what happened in their life time that affected their future and that of their mokopuna to come. This concept of having children campaigning isn’t reserved solely for Maori, many other people’s have done the same thing, not just here but around the world. Physical safety is paramount and at the fore front of any parents’ mind when they take their tamariki out in big crowds and particular attention is paid during hustings. But to say ‘keep kids safe from politics’ is politically-correct nonsense wrapped up in patronising religious fanaticism. It’s a holier-than-thou attitude not towards tamariki but towards a people who dare to vocalise and proudly their sovereign right to campaign to protest to activate the minds and hearts of their people and especially their children. The kind of ‘keep them safe’ the add refers to is a ‘say nothing-see nothing’ ideology usually practised by groups with something to hide. Maori are about whanau, we will include our Pakeke and tamariki, our kaumatua, kuia, tāne, wāhine in everything, all the time. All parents know that when tamariki grow up they make their own decisions, informed and ill-informed. I would hope that the informed decisions my tamariki make are based on some of the experiences I have given them and the knowledge I have imparted. I would hope that the ill-informed decisions are few and far between because of the experiences I have given them and the knowledge I have imparted. Our tamariki like many other children in Aotearoa/New Zealand and around the world have been and will always be an intrinsic part of political activism. And so it shall be.

No comments:

Post a Comment