Saturday, September 4, 2010

DIARY OF A CAMPAIGNER: DAY 15: ALL ABOUT WHANAU AND COMMUNITY

DAY FIFTEEN:
Saturday 4 September 2010
It is 12 days until the ballot papers start arriving in the letter boxes and 35 days until ‘D’ day decision day on 09th October.

I spent most of the morning like many New Zealanders glued to the television set watching the aftermath of the quake in Christchurch unfold. It was heart breaking to watch and hear. But then to have the devastating news of the air crash as well too, it has indeed been a sad day for the country.

I decided to head out early to meet my Owairaka colleagues at Mt Albert Pak ‘n Save where we were distributing flyers. It’s a great location for meeting people from four corners of the ward, Waterview, Owairaka, Mt Albert and Sandringham. This is the second time the team have been to Pak n Save and I noticed an increase in the number of people concerned about ‘how to vote’ and when the forms were being posted out.


To vote we’re using two different systems. To elect the Mayor, respective Councillors, local boards members and, if you have one, the licensing trust representatives the 'first past the post' (FPP) system applies. That’s where you vote for who you want. But for the district health board you use the 'single transferable voting' (STV) system. This is where you rank in order of preference. For more information go to the Auckland City Council website:
www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/EN/2010Elections/Voting/Pages/Home.

I spent an hour at Pak n Save before heading back home to pick up my whanau who came door knocking with me. We really enjoyed the experience together. The two big boys Kiamana aged 10, Te Ua aged 8 asked more questions about the campaign. We all wore C&R rosettes and I explained that they represented the Party I belong to. We talked about the homes we visited, how old they may have been and why the streets were given certain names. It was a great educational experience and allowed the children to get to know more about their neighbourhood. It’s the first time they’re been out door knocking with me and they’re keen to do it again.

The area we visited is a former state housing district, with the former owners purchasing their properties either in the 1960’s or taking advantage of Housing New Zealand’s big sale-off early this decade. Statistically it’s a ‘red-spot’ district meaning it leans left. But I think this is more out of habit. The folk I spoke with appreciated hearing C&R policy particularly regarding rates. For the elderly folk on fixed incomes keeping rates affordable is a priority while personal safety is another major concern for the people we visited. Many folk appreciated me taking my family along and introducing them. They saw how committed we are as a whanau to them the community and to progressing C&R policies that will help make this great City even greater. At the end of the door knocking, for a treat I shouted us all an icecream each.

While we were door knocking on one side of the ward, my sister Rosina was in Morningside and St Lukes mailbox dropping flyers. I am determined to dot every street in Owairaka blue ie: to drop information about C&R policies. I intend to door knock at least 50% of the houses before the 17th September. So I better get going because there’s only 12 days left before the ballot papers come out. Toot loudly if you see me and my whanau on the streets and we'll holla back at ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment