Thursday, September 16, 2010

DIARY OF A CAMPAIGNER: DAY26 MT ALBERT NOT SO LEFT

DAY TWENTY-SIX:
Wednesday 15 September 2010
Only 2 days until the ballot papers start arriving in the letter boxes and 24 days until ‘D’ day decision day on 09th October.

It’s really exciting I can’t wait for the voting papers to come out.

Sarah Turner one of my C&R running mates in Owairaka, and I worked hard to day. We went to a part of Mt Albert that we thought was dyed-in-the-wool, centre-left territory. A couple of reasons we thought it was centre-left: 1) it’s a street where an incumbent ‘leftie’ Councillor lives, 2) centre-left brag about this area being theirs.

What we found was the complete opposite.

Several homes informed us we were the first candidates to have visited them in over 12 years….in 22 years! When we informed them that one of their neighbours was an incumbent Councillor, both residents said that were aware of that, but had never met her…..

Local board representation is about being local, for the locals, to do good by the locals. I can’t wait to get stuck into working for the community. I really hope I’m elected. As I’ve moved around the neighbour hood I’ve become very humbled by the generosity of those I’ve met. People have been generous with their time in speaking with us, sharing their concerns with us, showing faith in us that we may be able to assist them in some small way. But most of all I have been humbled by the humility people have shown towards us simply because we bothered to knock on their door and ask them if they had any concerns.

A young couple Sarah and I spoke with were concerned about the increase in their rates comes 1 November. C&R are adamant rates must remain low. Now is not a time to go promising free this and that. Somewhere along the line someone will end up footing the bill and the buck will probably stop with rate payers.

We need to get the new Auckland City off on the right foot. We need a fiscally prudent council to mind the pennies and the pounds…mind the cents and the dollars. We need conservative control over spending. We need Citizens and Ratepayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment