Monday, August 23, 2010

Diary of a Campaigner. Bedtime stories for my children.

A bit heavy-reading I know but later in life they may want to know why their Mummy suddenly had less time for them physically and even less ‘head and thinking’ time for them when she was around. They’ll understand later, in fact they understand now what an historical occasion this is - the election of leaders for a new, united Auckland. They can feel how excited I am and of course when they see the hoardings with me on them they’re as proud as punch.

Saturday 21 August 2010
It is 26 days until the ballot papers start arriving in the letter boxes and 49 days until ‘D’ day decision day on 09th October.

It’s very early and Nadine my Wife is in Wellington at the NZ Softball Coaching Conference. So I’m in charge of driving the boys to their respective Rugby games and depositing them and their little sister with good friends and whanau to look after for the rest of the day while I go door knocking. Nadine and I have always had supportive whanau and friends and I’ve never appreciated them more now that I’m out on the hustings. Actually I’ve always wanted to use that word hustings. The word and the deed aren’t too foreign or arduous a notion to get my head around. As a journalist I followed countless politicians out on their trails. Now that I’m out there, I’m ok about it. I also make a mental note to cook the sitters a thank you dinner…sometime, later!

Our first ‘outing’ as the Owairaka team is at Pak ‘n Save Mt Albert. When I was little it used to be Spalding Softball Park and then Coke Park, its opposite Hendon Ave on New North Road and is one of the busiest outlets in Auckland truly it is. Paul Goldsmith one of our two Councillors – the other being Chris Fletcher, came with us baring his wise words of advice on how to engage with our voters.

Cameron Morris who incidentally is NZ’s fastest texter, he and I were one end of the complex while Paul buddied up with Sarah Turner down wind. I’ve been trained to door-stop people - politely. Move right into their path so they can’t side step you, stare them straight in the eye, to lock them into place and start speaking in short sharp sentences. I enjoyed meeting these complete strangers. Without exception they were extremely polite. Many were very interested in the elections, some even confident enough to tell us they were voting ‘the other way’.

It never ceases to amaze me the diversity of our City. Although I intellectually understand we have over 100 different ethnicities in Auckland, when you come kanohi-ki-te-kanohi: face-to-face with about 10% of those cultures, for me was invigorating. Exciting because it highlights our position on the world stage. At a local level that diversity can bring challenges, language issues, settlement concerns but those ‘glass and a half-full’ communities who see diversity not adversity as both economic and social advantages will benefit.

Following on from Pak ‘n Save the Owairaka Team moved up the road and the mountain to Allendale Road. It was another inaugural adventure – the door knock. Again my journalism background pays off – door knocking, stepping up confidently makes you appear in control, a message to deliver, some one to take note of. The house holds here are a mix of second or third generation and young families with children. It’s the type of neighbour you will champion as a Local Board member. You want to ensure the streets are safe, you are compelled to protect their property, you want to insist rates remain affordable.
All up our team spent about 4 hours out and about. If I learnt anything from that first outing it was, don’t over dress because you’ll get too hot and make sure you eat. My sugar level fell through the pavement. I’ll have a good breakfast or lunch next time and I’ll take some lollies and a water bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment